“I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things.” ~ Vincent van Gogh
Please note: I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just hang on a little while.

Monday, January 21, 2013

The Not-Noise


There is a continual pulsing
out here under the trees:
a form of white noise,
not from machines, but from
the grass and the dirt and the leaves
coming alive after rain. Birds
and tiny insects, hidden lizards
and all sorts of creatures I don't even guess
are swelling this noise, which is not
noise at all, it is active silence.
And the air is making it, rushing in and out
in long whispers as the earth breathes.
But there is no breeze, it is other
than wind; it is the planet's
usually inaudible
heartbeat.


4 comments:

  1. Read this several times. So wonderfully descriptive. The rhythm you've created adds meaning to your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I'm pleased with this one, which arrived as if from nowhere. I'm reminded all over again that this is the benefit of writing every day, practising and practising - it prepares the way for true inspiration to strike, those times when, it seems, we become simply an instrument. All the rest is like tuning the instrument, perhaps. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh yes. I have heard this too, you have to really listen. Beuatiful expressed Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.