“I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things.” ~ Vincent van Gogh
Please note: I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just hang on a little while.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Moments of Joy

Seeking moments of joy
in my own home,
I see my aunt’s lace fan.

Yellow flowers, black edging,
a white base that mimics ivory
but isn’t cruel.

My cousin sent it to me
after my dear aunt died
whom I called my second Mum.

Late in life, she saved
and went on cruises,
finding fans in port as souvenirs.

I remember her long letters
about places she saw,
friends made on board

even love, although at last
those ships passed in the night.
The fan is still faintly scented.




5 comments:

  1. Lovely memories, held in that fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely-those scents left by those gone--so evocative. Thanks. k.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remembrance - an object bringing back memories of those we've loved. I have many objects in my home that make me happy because of who they belonged to before they came to live with me. Thanks for your E-mail, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you here again, and glad you got the email.

      Delete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.